Coach Bruce Fossum Collegiate Golf Scholarship
CONGRATULATIONS to the recipients of the Coach Bruce Fossum Collegiate Golf Scholarship Presented by GLAGA
Made possible by all GLAGA members, event participants, and season sponsors Thank You
Click here for the scholarship application form.
2012 class of Mary Jo Tomac Scholarship Award Winners. The annual scholarship award is named after the late mother of former Greater Lansing Amateur Golf Association president Russ Cunningham, who is in his second year as men’s and women’s golf coach at Oakland University.
- Casey played three years of varsity golf for the Holt Rams and earned all-conference, all-area and academic honors each year. She helped lead the Rams to three consecutive regional championships and a third-place finish at state her junior year. A member of the National Honors Society and Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Casey graduated with a 3.9 GPA and is now attending Calvin College, where she is majoring in engineering. Her collegiate career is off to a strong start with the Knights, who finished third in the MIAA Championship last October.
- Haley played three years of varsity golf at Grand Ledge for coach Tom Lindemann, PGA professional at Hawk Hollow and Eagle Eye. She earned All Area first team and All State Academic honors for her performance on the course and in the classroom, qualified for the Division 1 state finals and was named most valuable player for the Comets this past fall. She currently carries a 3.72 GPA, works as a dietary aide at Ingham Regional Assisted Living, is a member of the National Honor Society and plans to attend Grand Valley State to study occupational therapy.
- Trent highlighted his senior season by winning three straight tournaments: The Lakeview Invitational in Battle Creek, with a 74; The Tullymore Invitational in Stanwood with a 3-under-par 68; and a CAAC Blue Jamboree at Arbor Hills in Jackson with a 1-under-par 35. Trent finished the year with the lowest scoring average (37.5 for 9 holes) in the Lansing area. He has since moved on to Hampden-Sydney College in Farmville, Va., where he is studying economics and also a member of the golf team. He played in two of the team’s five tournaments this past fall.
- Chris made the all-conference team four straight years under coach Ron Applegate, and played on the two-time state runner-up Vikings team of 2009 and 2010. In his senior season, Beltzer was a Division 2 regional medalist and placed in the top 10 as an individual at the state finals. He also played four years of basketball, two years of baseball and ran one year of cross country. During his senior year he completed with a 3.5 grade point average. Chris received the 69th House Citizen Award from Rep. Mark Meadows. Chris has moved on to the collegiate level at Grand Valley State.
Katie was a member of the Lansing Catholic Girls Varsity Basketball and Golf Team. She helped the golf team to a Regional Championship and a 3rd Place fi nish at States. Katie is currently attending LCC while she narrows down her future career path. We hope to see her in the Womens Division at the All City this year. Katie recieved a $500 scholarship to be used toward her 2010-2011 academic endeavors made possible by all GLAGA members, event participants, and season sponsors.
The first four recipients listed below will each recieve a $500 scholarship to be used toward their 2009-2010 academic endeavors
- PATRICK DUDA, Lansing Catholic graduate and former state champion attending MSU with a major in Finance
- ALEX PRATT, DeWitt graduate receiving All State Senior year attending Grand Valley State University with a double major in Finance and Economics
- AMY RUTHENBERG, 3.964 GPA at Okemos HS attending Bowling Green in Fall 2009 as golf team member with major undecided
- DEREK TWAIT, DeWitt graduate contributing to both the state ranked soccer and golf teams attending Grand Valley State University in Fall 2009 with plans to become a Physicians Assistant
As a previous recipient of the MJT Scholarship the following applicant will be receiving $250
- AMANDA BRADLEY, DeWitt graduate who was a member of 2 time state championship golf team and now attending Grand Valley State University as a Pre-Med major